Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sweet Voices

I have spent most of the evening peacefully reading emails while my baby is fast asleep. One of the few moments I have to myself in a long day is when she is sleeping. It is good to be reminded, every once in a while, the great blessing it is to be a mother. My friend has a little boy, who at 18 months exhibited signs of delay in many developmental areas, namely his speech. He was diagnosed with autism shortly after. She expressed the following in an email:


"My son's Speech and Developmental Therapist made a world of difference in my son’s life. When I first started NEIS all I could say is that I wanted to hear my child say "Mommy". To help him accomplish this they first started with sign language in the hope of establishing at least some means of communication. A great deal of my son's frustration and anger came from his lack of communication. Through the aid of his Therapist my son was able to sign as many as three words together in a very short period of time...It was not until a little over the age of two that I finally heard "Mommy". It was and certainly still is music to my ears. It hurts me to hear parents in a store tell there children to just be quiet for a while and stop talking- if they only knew how lucky they were they would not dream of saying that. I thank God everyday I get to hear my sweet angel’s voice."


I still wait for the day my baby says mommy. I hope that we can remember that children are a blessing from Heaven. It is a joy to learn and grow with them!

No comments: